Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Sick



There's no denying it, sick babies freak me out.
Bad.
You would think that by the third time around I'd be more relaxed.
Rather, I'm quite the opposite.
With the first, I think I was naïve to all that was out there.
I didn't have many mommy friends.
I didn't know all their stories, their friend's stories, their friend's friend stories about sick babies.
And then there's the febrile seizure that Molly had at 5 months lurking in my brain.
So when the slightest symptom of a cold comes on, I become a complete mess.




He came down with a cold and fever Thursday evening.
And it was all downhill from there.

By Saturday he had a pretty nasty cough and was just miserable.
I called our pediatrician.
I hate calling after hours.
It makes me feel bad interrupting their time off.
But I did it.
And she actually thought he'd be able to wait until Monday to see her.


But you know that feeling in your gut that things just aren't right?
Ten o'clock that evening I just couldn't bare it anymore.
Brian stayed home with the girls, I went alone with Owen to the emergency room.
As soon as we got there, he was is normal happy self.
I swear the nurse checking us in must have thought I was nuts bringing this smiley little baby in.
Once we saw the doctor, she said because he had a fever along with the cold she wanted to test for influenza and rsv.
Also she wanted to do a chest x-ray.
The entire 3 hours we were there, Owen was wide awake.
I couldn't believe it.
And he didn't stay cheerful either.
It was a loooong three hours, and I just wanted to take him home to bed and cuddle him!

After they looked at his chest x-ray, they determined he had early pneumonia, where his lungs were starting to turn grey.
We were sent home with an antibiotic, and since then he's been on the mend.
I am so thankful for doctors and medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment