Friday, January 3, 2014

Happy New Year!

I love New Years.
It brings the notion that we can "start fresh".
I do well with the idea of a clean slate.
But keeping a New Year's resolution is just not for me.
I never do well and always end up disappointed and revert back to my old ways once I've failed.
 
But I do try and pledge to do better and work towards some kind of goal.
Which I guess is a lot like a resolution.
 
This year I've decided to take my goals and turn them into family goals.
Because, why not have us all work towards something better?
 
So here they are!
 
-Be thoughtful. 
This past year I was pretty wrapped up in myself and what was going on with my pregnancy that all else and everyone else wasn't very important.
But now I have a healthy little boy and two little girls who I want to teach how to show kindness and thoughtfulness to others.
We also have so many people who love us and I want to show how appreciative we are and be reciprocal.
 
-Be healthy (ier)
We've been pretty junked up around here. 
Fall is really an awful time to have a baby if you want to get back to your pre-baby weight quickly with Thanksgiving and Christmas and a never ending stream of goodies in between.
The girls are super picky so I know their meals aren't going to get healthier, but we've gotten pretty good at using candy and cookies as bribes.
So we all need to kinda detox and get back to a less junkie diet.
We also all need to get out butts in motion more, which is hard when it's so cold out.
I have a poor-mom's gym in the basement I want to utilize more (treadmill) and if it's not freezing, get the girls outdoors to run around for a bit.
 
-Be tidy
I'm the queen of clutter and am notorious for starting one thing and then jumping to another without cleaning up.
The girls do the same thing.
I think we can all stand to clean up after ourselves a little more.
It just makes for a more peaceful home.

-Be present
We need to make the time we spend together more meaningful. 
Rely less on all these techno gizmos. I want to start having date night! 
Who's kidding though, I know we aren't getting out of this house for a real date,
but make time for a home date. 
Even if that's just watching something on DVR without the distraction of IPads or phones. 
Living more in the moment with the girls on a day to day basis as well (so hard sometimes!  There's only so much princess I can take in one day!)

 -Document
Take more pictures.  We had been really slacking prior to Christmas. 
I've given up the idea that I am ever going to get photo books up to date. (though I am going to finish the ones I've started with the photos before this blog existed)
I'm going to make yearly blog books instead which will hopefully help me keep this up to date.
I also want to keep track of the more trival things that happen weekly.
Hopefully I'll be able to do a weekly update.
Time is passing so quickly, there are so many things I don't ever want to forget.

-Be thankful
Especially to our God. 
We are so blessed in so many ways.
I think we all take it for granted too much.

 
 I think these are things we can work on this year.
Here's to 2014!

Oh and some crazy pictures of the girls-






 
 (Jane got lipstick, which was actually required, when she was in the Nutcracker. 
Both girls always want to do makeup when I'm getting ready.  We went to the mall like this. 
We got a couple stares.)
 

1 comment:

  1. great goals! I think you should move 'take a photography class' from the post below to this one :)! do it! do it!

    ReplyDelete