Thursday, January 19, 2012

hello to more time!

Today was Jane's final session at Theraplay which I am jumping up and down about.  It's been consuming so much of our time.  Three one hour sessions a week, and it's a half hour from our home.  Yeah, that's a lot of time.

When Jane was a baby she refused to eat the purees I'd make her.  The doctor told me once she could pick up food, she'd eat.  But she never did.  It was like she hated all food.  We brought on a food therapist who came once a week to our house.  We visited the doctors at the children's hospital.  Every suggestion we'd try.  The child did not want to eat!  So when I found out our insurance would pay for 60 days of therapy at Theraplay, I jumped at the opportunity. 

Today was our 60th day.  I guess if I actually saw progress, maybe, just maybe, I'd be sad to see this come to an end. 

Before Jane, I unfairly judged moms who'd make 2 dinners every night.  I swore I'd make one thing and if my kids wouldn't eat it, they'd just go hungry.  I swore I'd only feed them all natural and organic.  They'd never feast on candy, cakes, or cookies. 

Today, I'm just happy if Jane eats anything.  It's been such a struggle, and we're leaps and bounds from where we were a year ago.  Other than Dora popcicles and vanilla ice cream, there is no food on this planet that isn't a battle on some level to get her to eat.

Everyone wants to offer suggestions.  And I know most people just don't get it.  I know if I were on the other side of this, I'd be the one saying, "Just make her eat." Hello, don't you think we've tried that?  When we transitioned her off formula, she went 3 days with eat and drinking nothing.  And there didn't appear to be an end in sight.  All I knew, was her behavior was horrendous from starving.  And I broke down and started giving her a bottle at nap and bedtime, cutting back from the normal 7 she had a day.  I can gladly report that she longer needs a bottle but my day is consumed with worrying how little she is eating each day.

Anyhow, Theraplay is over.  And I'm welcoming back all the hours to our week for playdates, and grocery shopping, and everything else!!

Her therapy sessions focus on playing with food without the expectation to eat it.  Here is one of our favorite breakfast activities.


Painted Toast


   
Mix some food dye in some milk.  Then just brush it on some white bread.  Toast it, and it comes out bright and fun!

1 comment:

  1. finding a fun way to make food is always the best! i love this idea of coloring toast. yay!
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete